January 14, 2014

Spring Semester Has Begun

Yesterday was the first day of what will hopefully be my last semester of grad school. As excited as I am about this, I am also very nervous about how things will turn out - especially since I'm taking another class along with it. It makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it all. Yesterday, the thought of eating was gag worthy. 

But today, I feel a tad more accomplished and slightly less stomach-achy. I have the first assignment complete for the other class I'm taking - Survey of Western Art (fancy title for art history). And I established what will be my final project for my capstone. It's different and something that I'm not accustomed to doing, so that will be challenging, but I think it will work out as soon as I get all the details in my brain out on paper. I will be doing a photography project based on the photographs of Carrie Mae Weems and Lorna Simpson.

These ladies focus their photographs on views of gender, identity, culture, and history that is mostly centered around African Americans. I especially like Weems' Kitchen Table Series and Simpson's Five Day Forecast. They add text to their images to make the point that the meaning is constructed rather than understood. I would like to create my own version of a kitchen table series and a five day forecast of sorts along with a few other themes that I need to get worked out. 

At the moment, that's where I am. Next week the proposal is due, so I have to figure it all out by then (or most of it any way). Wish me luck!

From Kitchen Table Series, Weems, 1990
Five Day Forecast, Lorna Simpson, 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment