March 12, 2014

The Draft

It’s week 9 and I’ve just turned in my draft for the capstone project. I must admit that it feels good to have gotten this far when, just a few weeks ago, I had no clue of the direction in which I was headed.

It’s turned out to be longer than I thought (68 pages…so far), 20 pages of straight writing and the rest are made up of the five photo series that my project surrounds. The question I propose is “is there truth in photography?” In trying to answer this, I have created five series of black and white photographs with text panels based on the roles women take on (homemaker, worker, wife) and issues they deal with on a daily basis (weight and stereotypes). You may remember that my influences are Lorna Simpson and Carrie Mae Weems who both use black and white photographs juxtaposed with text panels in their works. I have modeled the way I present my series around these two wonderful ladies who are still working today.

I can’t, unfortunately, share any of my series with you as of yet since they haven’t been graded and whatnot. That just wouldn’t be right. I do hope, however, that I will be able to soon because I would like to see if you think there is truth in photography…and specifically in my series.

Until then, I wait to see what the professors and my other classmates think of the draft I’ve turned in. I have no doubt that my classmates are going through this same anxiety of waiting so we can get back to it and really finish it for next month’s official turn in date. Wish me luck!


mw

No comments:

Post a Comment