November 13, 2013

Day 13: Henry Matisse

Henry Matisse said, “It has bothered me all my life that I do not paint like everybody else” and “I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me.”

These two quotes have stuck with me because lots of times I feel the same way. I may not draw something just like someone else or I may not draw the lamp just as the lamp appears in reality, but I draw it how I see it. If it’s a little off, who cares? If it’s not perfectly symmetrical, who cares? If it’s not the same color, who cares? I am always amazed by those who can draw something that looks so close to reality that it’s almost as if it’s a photograph. But that’s not how I do things. And that’s not how Matisse did things either.

Here are some of my favorite not-so-perfect perfect Matisse works:


Still Life with Oranges (II), 1899

Still Life, 1900

Vase with Fruit, 1901

Open Window at Collioure, 1905

The Windshield, 1917
La Torsem et Native Nue, 1932

Interior in Yellow, 1946

Portrait of Lydia Delectorskaya, 1947

No comments:

Post a Comment