November 10, 2013

Day 10: Self-Criticism

I am my own worst critic.

I can be pretty hard on myself when I’m working on a drawing. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Of course I can see all of the flaws in a piece that most others may not because I know what’s in my head and what I want it to look like. Sometimes, it just doesn’t work. Other times, I complete it anyway and end up being unhappy with the way it turned out.


It’s not such a bad thing, either, because I make myself work harder to try to perfect the next piece. This is good because that means I keep going; I keep drawing; I keep working no matter what my head tells me and no matter if my head and my hand are on speaking terms. Besides, being self-critical is better than having another critic rip your piece to shreds with words, right? I think if I’m harder on myself, it’ll be easier to take those harsh critics when they do come around. That sounds like a great concept, right? I sincerely hope I make it to that point to find out if it’s true.


No comments:

Post a Comment